This week, body image expert, Dr Zali Yager, shares her considerable knowledge and insights into the often thorny and always complex issue of body image in adolescence. Zali is an Associate Professor in health and physical education at the Victoria University, Melbourne. Her research interests and expertise lie in the promotion of positive body image and prevention of eating disorders, especially in adolescence.
Zali and I discuss the factors that influence body image in adolescence, including social media. We talk about what the different pressures are for boys and girls and how they often manifest e.g. for boys, a growing prevalence of muscle-building supplement taking has been observed. Zali also explains the association between body image and mental health. Helpfully, Zali gives some practical tips for patents to help create positive body image in our children, including outlining several programs aimed at body acceptance she is involved with.
Following are links to programs and useful websites that Zali mentions in the episode:
Kristen Neff’s Self Compassion Resources: https://self-compassion.org/category/exercises/
Butterfly Foundation Helpline: https://butterfly.org.au/get-support/helpline/
The Body Project in Australia Targeted intervention: https://www.eatingdisorders.org.au/early-intervention-identification-for-professionals/body-project-australia/
The Body Confident Collective: https://www.bodyconfidentcollective.org/
Instagram: @drzaliyager, @bodyconfidentmums, @bodyconfidentcollective
HOW YOU CAN SUPPORT THE PODCAST
- Please tell your friends about the podcast and share it with them.
- Follow me on Instagram @amanda_wellbeing_podcast
- Follow my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/amandaswellbeingpodcast/?modal=admin_todo_tour
- If you could rate and review the podcast on iTunes, that would be super helpful.
- Purchasing a book from my the Book Reviews page on my website is an easy way to support the podcast too.
- If you would like to make a donation via Pay Pal or Patreon, visit the Donate page on my website.